Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One More Reason to Become a Host Family

If this isn't a good reason to host an exchange student I don't know what is!

Oh wait! There is the great relationships you will build, experiencing another culture and the chance to share your community with a student from another country.

One of my "exchange" daughters, Kate (hosted 2008), sent our family a Christmas package filled with German goodies and presents for our kids. And a few weeks ago I got a phone call from Switzerland! it was Celine (hosted 2006) calling to wish me Happy Birthday. The holidays are so fun now that we have family all over the world because we shared our home with two great kids.

For the last four years I have been involved with an organization called EF Foundation for Foreign Study. I had the opportunity to host two of those years and gained two wonderful "exchange" daughters. I have had such a great experience I chose to become an International Exchange Coordinator (IEC). After the birth of my second child I ran out of room in my house to host another student. As an IEC I get to place students with other loving families and become a friend and mentor to a student from another country. This way I still meet great kids and learn about their homes now that I don't have room to host in my home. I cant wait to get a bigger house someday so that I can have more "exchange" daughters.

If you have any interest in hosting an exchange student send me a comment and I can send you some information.

No comments:

Post a Comment